Skip to main content

10 Web Resources to Galvanize Your School’s Commitment to Coordinated School Health

There are many ways and many resources, but here are some external resources I’ve found helpful and hope you do, too:

http://www.education.ne.gov/HEALTH/PDFs/CSHPolicy3-1-10.pdf
  • The Nebraska statewide Coordinated School Health Policy, adopted March, 2010

http://healthylincoln.org/#resources.html
  • Partnership For A Healthy Lincoln offers resources including national and local trend data on the obesity epidemic.

http://www.letsmove.gov/schools
  • Action steps from the Let’s Move! campaign to assist schools.

http://sss.mpls.k12.mn.us/sites/6c9fd336-96c5-451c-a8a6-b6f00373668d/uploads/appendixF_celebrations_alternatives.pdf
  • Healthy alternatives to the traditional ‘junk food as reward’ classroom celebrations offered by the CT Department of Education.

http://www.ahealthieramerica.org/chefs-move-to-schools.html
  • Information from the Partnership for a Healthier America about the Chefs Move! To Schools campaign to place visiting chefs in schools to help educate children about healthy eating.

http://www.healthiergeneration.org/uploadedFiles/About_The_Alliance/SBG%20FINAL%20PROGRESS%20REPORT%20(March%202010).pdf
  • Read about the impact the Alliance is having on beverages sold in schools by getting full calorie sodas out of schools.

http://www.education.ne.gov/HIV/2010_YRBS-Results/results.htm
  • 2010 Youth Risk Behavior Survey results; tables, graphs, and trends analysis.

http://www.thrivingbrain.com/brain_facts/exercise.htm
  • Empirically validated findings demonstrating the connection between exercise and intellectual performance, displayed in a user-friendly table with source reference noted.

http://www.aahperd.org/whatwedo/advocacy/
  • American Alliance for Health, PE, Recreation and Dance legislative and policy advocacy information.  Get connected to the key issues at state and local levels.

http://www.fitness.gov/
  • President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition: includes general nutrition information, fit facts, Shape of the Nation, and Physical Activity and Dietary Guidelines for Americans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Roy Baker School of Leadership Lessons

Wednesday morning I have a wonderful opportunity. I get the chance to kick off a day of interviewing as one of three final superintendent candidates for Norris. I have no idea whether I’ll emerge from the battle as the candidate of choice, but I know that I am excited beyond belief and I am proud to be the internal candidate who represents the legacy and tradition of Norris leadership. It may sound audacious, but I believe I’ ve been reared by the best. I say that because I worked just down the hall from our retiring superintendent Roy Baker for four years as the high school principal and for the last year and half+ now, I have had the chance to work right next door to him as an assistant superintendent. Heck, by process of osmosis alone I have learned quite a bit about leadership. Some of my learning has been just through that exposure to the Sup day in and day out, as things come up. And some of that learning has been very intentional – wherein Roy has deliberately conveyed an...

My Marathon Training Nutrition Commitment

I had a two-bag-a-week habit...Bazooka Joe himself had to stage an intervention for me. I have been training for the Lincoln marathon, which goes off  a week from now. A month ago, I decided I would get aggressive with my nutrition because I figure an old runner like me (43) needs every possible advantage if I want to crawl across the finish line in under four hours much less 3 1/2. So I set out to eliminate empty cards and refined sugars from my diet about five weeks ago.  I thought that this would be a good means of enhancing my nutrition while also improving my chances of turning in a good performance on race day.  I said goodbye to the chips and candy, and mourned the loss of my fries and popcorn... There definitely is a connection between intake and output.  How you eat, how you sleep, and whether you're drinking enough water- all those things contribute to outcomes on race day, not just miles and pace. ...

What I Learned At Ski School

We had our first family ski vacation after the Christmas holiday. Sara is quite adept on the slopes and is an experienced skier. For the rest of us boys (5, 7, 9, 12 and me the elder 40something), it was all new learning. I suffered through a day and a half finding my feet and learning how to maneuver the skis just to execute the most basic moves such as "the wedge" so I could stop and how to stand on an incline without shooting forward or ending up skiing backwards. I'm not going to kid you, I was a danger to myself and others on the slopes for at least the first half of our time out there in Colorado. My ski instructor the first day was a grizzled veteran named Alice (sun-bleached hair, a weathered, wind-burnt face and a commanding voice that could bring everyone on the mountainside to attention with one bark). She repeatedly took my poles from me because she was insistent that everything I needed to be able to do could be mastered just by lifting my feet and turning m...